x Abu Dhabi, UAESunday 23 July 2017

Travel alert after boy's abduction

The Foreign Ministry is warning all nationals to alert the appropriate UAE embassy of their presence when they travel abroad after an Emirati boy was abducted in Cairo last month.

ABU DHABI // The Foreign Ministry is warning all nationals to alert the appropriate UAE embassy of their presence when they travel abroad after an Emirati boy was abducted in Cairo last month. Abdul Rahman Saif bin Darwish, whose age has not been reported, was kidnapped in the Egyptian capital on June 30, according to the state news agency, WAM. The UAE Embassy in Cairo worked with Egyptian security forces and quickly found the child, although details of his recovery have not yet been made public.

"When the embassy in Cairo received a report from the father of the abducted child it immediately contacted the Egyptian security authorities, which took measures to track down perpetrators," a representative of the Foreign Ministry told WAM. The representative added that the child was found shortly after being reported missing, with the help of Egyptian civilians. Officials have not concluded why the child was targeted, but do not believe it is part of a larger pattern.

"The incident is individual and does not constitute any phenomenon targeting the UAE nationals," the source said. "UAE nationals enjoy security and care from the Egyptian authorities."
newsdesk@thenational.ae