Laws are supposed to protect individuals from tobacco harm.
The federal anti-smoking law
Federal Law on Tobacco Control No 15 / 2009 is meant to protect all individuals in the community from tobacco harm. The law includes, but is not limited to, the following provisions:
- Forbids the sale of tobacco products to those under 18, and if violated, the fine ranges between Dh500 to Dh10,000
- Forbids smoking in private cars when there is a child under age 12 present
- Forbids smoking in houses of worship, educational institutions (such as universities and schools), health and sports facilities
- Forbids the sale of sweets which resemble tobacco products.
- Forbids automatic vending equipment and devices for tobacco distribution inside the country
- Forbids tobacco advertisement, which if violated, will be fined in the range of Dh100,000 to Dh1,000,000