Residents return to Palm Jumeirah building two years after fire
Flammable cladding replaced at residential tower
Residents of a tower that was severely damaged by a fire two years ago have begun moving back into their flats.
The fire, that broke out in the early morning on December 13, 2016, rendered the 15-storey Adriatic building uninhabitable because the water used to extinguish the blaze damaged the main electrical system.
It was believed to have started in a coffee machine in a penthouse apartment, triggered by an electrical fault. The spread of the fire was aided by flammable exterior cladding, as has been the case in several incidents across the UAE in recent years.
Restoration lasted 16 months and began in April 2017 after police investigations ended and the building managers received confirmation from insurers to repair the damage. The Oceana Owners Association also repaired damaged building systems, including the access control system, during that time.
The flammable cladding of the building, in the Oceana complex on the trunk of The Palm Jumeirah, has been replaced with concrete in some areas. There are plans to replace the facades of the Oceana complex's six other buildings.
On Tuesday, the building manager, Asteco Property Management, said the hundreds of residents who fled the fire could now return to the building.
Those who were temporarily relocated to the Fairmont Palm Hotel and Resort immediately after the fire have been living alternative accommodation across Dubai since. Their accommodation and furniture storage was paid for by their insurers, Strata Insurance.
Updated: October 9, 2018 05:03 PM