Abu Dhabi, UAESunday 24 March 2019

One of two brothers who choked and stabbed a man in mall car park is jailed

The younger brother killed the victim after he took money to help them with a dispute but did not deliver

One of two brothers accused of choking a Pakistani man with a scarf before stabbing him to death over a Dh1 million dispute, was sentenced to 15 years in prison by Dubai Criminal Court.

At 11.15pm on October 9, the two Afghani brothers, aged 19 and 23, were spotted dragging a man’s body across Al Mamzar Centre’s car park by a security guard. The guard called his colleague and ran towards them before calling police.

“The two saw us and dropped the body then got into a Range Rover and sped off,” said the 27-year-old Pakistani guard. He said the victim was topless and had been stabbed in the head.

Police checked CCTV footage and traced the car the two men escaped in through its number plate.

“The recording showed the victim running topless and a man carrying a scarf chasing him, before catching up and choking him with the scarf. When the victim fell down, apparently unconscious, the attacker walked back to the car, then returned carrying a knife and stabbed the deceased several times,” said an Emirati CID officer, 43.

He said a second man then appeared and they both began dragging the body, but dropped it and ran away when they saw the guards.

Investigators found out that one of the attackers owned a shop in the mall and that both brothers lived together in Naif. When police raided the flat, the men were not there.

“We discovered that they were hiding in Al Ain’s Industrial area and preparing to flee the country, so we co-ordinated with Abu Dhabi Police to arrest them the following day,” said the officer.

During questioning, the 19-year-old defendant told police he had arrived in the country a year ago and that his brother had been scammed by another man in a car-park project.

The defendant said the victim promised his brother to sort out the problem with the man who had conned him, and said he would help retrieve the Dh1.3m his brother had paid in return for Dh300,000.

“He told us that the deceased soon began stalling, despite being paid Dh150,000 in advance,” said the officer.

On the day of the murder, the brothers visited the victim, whose age was not disclosed in records, in his office. He asked them for the rest of the payment to help them get back their money, which angered them.

“During questioning, the defendants admitted to tricking the victim into their car after promising to pay him the rest of his fees in their shop in Al Mamzar Centre. But once they arrived to the mall’s car park, they killed him using a knife, which the 19-year-old admitted to buying five days earlier with the intent to kill the victim if he didn't help them,” said the officer.

The younger defendant told police that he told his brother of his intentions a few days before the murder, but his brother did not agree with his plan.

“He said that his brother told him this is Dubai, not Afghanistan. Had they been in Afghanistan, they would cut the man into little pieces, but they cant do that in Dubai," said the officer.

A medical report showed that the knife had broken inside the victim’s skull and had the 19-year-old defendant’s fingerprints on it.

In court last year, the younger defendant admitted to a premeditated murder charge, but told judges that his brother didn’t take part in the murder.

On Monday, he was convicted and sentenced to 15 years in prison to be followed by deportation. His sibling was cleared of the charge.

Updated: April 30, 2018 04:26 PM