Abu Dhabi, UAETuesday 17 September 2019

One dead, three injured in gas explosion at villa

A housemaid was killed and three other maids injured after a gas cylinder exploded at a home in Ajman on Wednesday.
The explosion occurred after a gas leak at a villa in Al Jurf, blowing the kitchen to rubble. Courtesy Ajman Police
The explosion occurred after a gas leak at a villa in Al Jurf, blowing the kitchen to rubble. Courtesy Ajman Police

AJMAN // A housemaid was killed and three other maids injured after a gas cylinder exploded at a home in Ajman on Wednesday.

The explosion occurred after a gas leak in the kitchen of a villa in Al Jurf, said Mohammed Al Ghafli, head of Al Jurf police station.

“We received a call from a family member stating that they heard the sound of an explosion in the kitchen at their villa,” he said.

“Police patrols, civil defence crews and ambulances rushed instantly to the incident scene.”

The kitchen was extremely damaged, with windows blown out. Aa wall of the kitchen and adjacent bedroom fell on top of the women.

The Ethiopian maid, 47, was killed and two others from the same country are being treated in hospital. One of the women is in a critical condition.

The extent of the injuries to the third maid, from Indonesia, is unknown.

Mr Al Ghafli urged householders to take all necessary precautions when dealing with gas cylinders and to ask experts to replace them to avoid such incidents.

roueiti@thenational.ae

Updated: April 19, 2017 04:00 AM

SHARE

SHARE