x

Abu Dhabi, UAEMonday 18 June 2018

Jail term increased for chef found guilty of kidnapping and molesting a child  

Prosecutors said the man lured the girl, 6, into the stairway of the building where they both live by promising to take her to a playground

A chef who was sentenced to three years in jail for sexually abusing a 6-year-old girl has had his sentence increased by the Dubai Court of Appeal.

On August 9 last year, Dubai Criminal Court sentenced the 22-year-old Egyptian to three years in jail to be followed by deportation on charges of kidnap and sexual abuse.

Prosecutors appealed the sentence, seeking a harsher penalty and it has now been increased to seven years to be followed by deportation.

Prosecutors said that on December 16, 2016, the man lured the Jordanian girl into the stairway of the building where they both lived in Dubai Production City by promising to take her to a playground. Instead, he sexually assaulted her.

The girl’s father, an engineer, 32, said that at about noon that day his daughter returned from the playground on the fourth floor terrified and crying.

“She returned home scared and shivering. She explained the ordeal to her mother and said the man had ordered her to keep quiet. He turned her face away whenever she tried to look at him,” said the father.

“She told her mother and I that when she started crying, the man asked her not to fear because she will never see his face again and asked her not to tell anyone.”

An Emirati policeman testified that the defendant confessed upon his arrest on the same day.

“He told me he spotted the girl entering the lift. He rushed and entered with her, then talked her into heading to the stairway … When she screamed in fear, he fled,” said the policeman.

He said he asked her where she was going and when she told him she was heading to the games area on the fourth floor, he asked her to follow him to the games section through the stairway.

“I am going to tell Mama what happened,” she told her father she said as she walked away from her abuser, records show.

The man fled to his apartment, but was apprehended later that day after the father reported him to police.

In court last March, the chef denied kidnap and sexual assault charges. “I am not guilty,” he told judges.