Where to find support for depression in the UAE
Mental health treatment can be expensive, costing up to Dh1,000 per session. If you are not covered by insurance and require help with depression, there are a number of support groups run by professionals and past patients.
• The Out of Blues community runs weekly coffee mornings for its members in Dubai. Details can be found on the group’s Facebook page.
• Abu Dhabi Major Depression and Anxiety Support Group holds events for their members on alternate Thursday evenings. The group can be found on the social web host meetup.com.
• The Maudsley Hospital Clinic in Abu Dhabi has two facilities, the Child and Adolescent Mental Heath Services and another for Adult Mental Health.
• Facebook community In Your Shoes runs a support group for people suffering from depression, anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorders.
• If you are unsure of seeking medical help, enritsch.com gives a free session to chat with a psychiatrist about issues to decide if you need to take further action.
• For a stress buster, there are laughter yoga classes in Abu Dhabi and Dubai.
Updated: April 6, 2017 04:00 AM