Abu Dhabi, UAEMonday 16 December 2019

UAE medics save girl who swallowed 2.5cm pin

The 13-year-old girl was putting on her veil when she accidentally swallowed the object

Medics were able to move the pin without causing any internal bleeding. Al Ain Hospital
Medics were able to move the pin without causing any internal bleeding. Al Ain Hospital

Doctors in the UAE have successfully operated on a girl, 13, who accidentally swallowed a 2.5cm pin that settled near ​​her heart.

Medics at Al Ain Hospital said the teenager was putting on her headscarf when the sharp object slipped down her throat.

A series of scans revealed the pin was stuck in the passageway of her left lung, adjacent to the heart muscle.

After a local anaesthetic, doctors inserted an endoscope and removed the pin.

“This case was extremely sensitive due to the location of the pin,” said Dr Saber Al Mishal, head of the pulmonology department at Al Ain Hospital.

“Our doctors had to carefully remove the pin without touching the heart or puncturing any veins or arteries that may have caused major internal bleeding.

“Their steady hands allowed the young girl to leave the hospital the same day."

Updated: August 14, 2019 04:17 PM

SHARE

SHARE