One person killed and 93 evacuated following gas leak
Authorities say chlorine leaked into a residential building
One person has died and 93 others were evacuated following a gas leak near a residential building in Sharjah.
Emergency services were called to the scene in Al Sajaa industrial area on Saturday afternoon after members of the public phoned police.
Authorities believe chlorine gas may have leaked into the building from a cylinder at a nearby scrap workshop during the previous night.
Tenants were evacuated from their homes and specialist teams dispatched to stop the leakage.
A number of residents were taken to hospitals across the emirates and one patient died a few hours after arrival.
Updated: February 9, 2019 08:26 PM