Abu Dhabi, UAEMonday 30 March 2020

Coronavirus: UAE confirms eighth case is Indian citizen

Health officials say six patients remain stable with one in intensive care as of Monday

The UAE has confirmed a new case of coronavirus, bringing the total to eight.

The Ministry of Health and Prevention said the patient was an Indian citizen who became ill after “interacting with a recently diagnosed person”.

Officials said one of the patients was in intensive care as of Monday, with six in a stable condition and one discharged from hospital on Sunday.

At least five of the six Chinese nationals had a link to Wuhan, the centre of the outbreak.

It is not clear whether the Filipino or Indian – the seventh and eighth cases reported – had any connection to China.

“All reported cases are in a stable condition, except for one case, who is being put under close observation by a team of senior consultants at the intensive care unit,” the ministry said.

Officials sought to “assure members of the community that we are taking all adequate preventive measures,” including check-ups and observation of patients’ families, relatives and people who have been around them.

“The public are also advised to adopt protective health behaviours to avoid infectious diseases, including washing hands with soap and clean water, and covering the mouth when coughing or sneezing to stop the spread of germs and viruses,” they said.

“In co-operation with key partners, we follow a very effective epidemiological monitoring mechanism, in accordance with the highest global practices and based on the World Health Organisation’s standards, to respond to any health emergencies.”

On Sunday, Liu Yujia, 73, the first person to show symptoms of the virus, was released from hospital, where she had been since January 23.

She was travelling with her granddaughter, 9, and the girl’s mother and father, all from Wuhan and on holiday in the Emirates, when she became ill.

The three relatives later had the coronavirus diagnosed. They remain in hospital.

On Monday, China’s consul general in Dubai said any Chinese nationals recently returned from virus-hit regions should observe a two-week home quarantine and promptly report symptoms to the Emirati authorities.

Li Xuhang also urged any Chinese residents who have been in contact with affected people in China to be checked by a doctor as a precaution.

Updated: February 11, 2020 12:42 PM

SHARE

SHARE

Most Popular