Coronavirus: Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed urges UAE to stay at home over Eid
The Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces says the public must act responsibly
Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed has reinforced the UAE’s stay at home message.
The Crown Prince of Abu Dhabi and Deputy Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces urged members of the public to behave responsibly and help the country to beat the pandemic.
The UAE has recorded more than 26,000 infections and more than 11,800 patients have recovered.
But Sheikh Mohamed stressed the need to continue the good work of health officials, asking residents to remain at home during Eid Al Fitr.
“We want to keep our numbers low and they are starting to be somewhat promising,” he said in a televised briefing.
“However, this changed in Ramadan. So what I ask of our residents and citizens is to stay home during the last week of Ramadan and during Eid, especially for older people, children and people with special needs.
We see the numbers and can see that the economic situation is promising now.
Sheikh Mohamed bin Zayed
“I know it is hard but for us but it means saving lives. For us, it means keeping our loved ones safe.
“We do not want everything that we did in the past months to be in vain due to a simple mistake that would cost us too much.”
As of May 21, global cases of the virus have topped five million, with the death toll increasing to more than 331,000.
Some countries continue to record a daily increase in infections, although the number of cases in other nations have plateaued or are even dropping.
Governments are still under pressure to reopen their respective economies, with authorities in countries such as Italy having eased lockdown restrictions already.
In the UK, two trials are being carried out on antimalarial medicine to discover whether they can prevent potential infections.
Sheikh Mohamed said the pandemic remained a challenge.
But he said the UAE would successfully come out the other side, with the country's economy rebounding swiftly.
“We got off to a good start,” Sheikh Mohamed said, referring to the UAE’s initial reaction to the Covid-19 outbreak.
“Our main concern at the beginning was how to protect three main groups.
"Those groups are the young, the elderly and those with a compromised immune system.
“All the rest are subjected to three conditions. These conditions are maintaining social distancing, wearing face masks and wearing gloves.
“As for young people, life must go on so we can continue living. I believe that life will continue its circle.
“We see the numbers and can see that the economic situation is promising now.”
During the same online briefing, Dr Farida Al Hosani, spokeswoman for the UAE’s health sector, also drove home the importance of case prevention.
“Recently, the number of cases detected in the country has been increasing,” she said.
“We need to gradually resume business and restore essential activities, but this needs to happen under a new lifestyle that is unlike the past.
“Observing the rules is crucial. Life will resume gradually but we should focus on prevention.
“We can be easily protected if we are careful enough to stay safe. Please take care of your families and loved ones.”
Sheikh Mohamed urged residents to avoid large family gatherings during Eid.
“We do not want the number of cases to increase," he said.
“Technology has enabled us to keep in touch with everyone far or near, so let’s contact and greet our families and loved ones through modern technology.”
Updated: May 21, 2020 09:57 PM