x Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 28 July 2017

Boy dies of suspected food poisoning in Dubai

A two-and-a-half year old boy dies of suspected food poisoning in Dubai in the fourth such case to be reported in the UAE this summer.

A two-and-a-half year old boy has died of suspected food poisoning in Dubai in the fourth such case to be reported in the UAE this summer. Rishab Pranav died on Thursday morning at the Al Rafa Polyclinic in Bur Dubai. The family visited the clinic seeking treatment for his mother, Barkha Pranav, who was suffering from severe vomiting and diarrhea. Dr Sayed PMM, who treated the child, said: "The father brought the family only for treatment of his wife. When the father mentioned that the child had also been vomiting, our nurse suggested that the child be shown to a pediatrician." Dr Sayed said that according to the family the problem started after they ate some reheated food made at home on Wednesday. The child had already vomited about six times before he was brought to the clinic. Despite immediately putting the child on glucose, oxygen and nebuliser, the condition of the child quickly deteriorated. "The child was showing abnormal behaviour and suddenly collapsed. The nurse informed me and I immediately reached the child and checked him, but there was no pulse. It was a clear cut collapse and death," said Dr Sayed. The mother was moved to Rashid Hospital and the child's body was taken to Al Wasl hospital. Last month, a four-year-old girl Marwa Faisal died of food poisoning in Sharjah followed by the death of two children, Nathan and Chelsea D'Souza in Dubai of suspected food contamination. pmenon@thenational.ae