x Abu Dhabi, UAETuesday 25 July 2017

#MyDubai initiative inundated with entries

Tens of thousands of images have been submitted for the MyDubai initiative, the 'world's first autobiography of a city'.

DUBAI// The #MyDubai initiative allowing residents and visitors to share images of their lives in the city received 75,000 entries in its first week.

On January 5, Sheikh Hamdan bin Mohammed, the Crown Prince of Dubai, called on internet users in the city to help create “the world’s first autobiography of a city”.

People were asked to use Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to post stories, photos and videos of their lives in Dubai.

And on Monday, the project organisers, the Dubai Department of Tourism and Commerce Marketing, said 75,000 images and videos had already been submitted on Instagram.

The department also announced the launch of what they called an “e-museum” to store the best entries. Twenty-five of the best entries were used to launch the social media account, and a further 10 will be added each week.

“The response from residents and visitors during the first week of #MyDubai has been remarkable, both in terms of the number of submissions and the quality of photography,” said Helal Saeed Almarri, director general of the department.

Submissions included family and adventure activities, as well as the rain, iconic buildings, the Dubai Shopping Festival and scenery.

As well as the thousands of Instagram entries, the Twitter hashtag #MyDubai received more than 27,000 mentions and 198 million impressions.

newsdesk@thenational.ae