Everything we know about the UAE's National Wellbeing Strategy 2031
The 10-year strategy was approved by the UAE Cabinet this week
New details have emerged about the UAE’s National Wellbeing Strategy 2031 from the office of the Prime Minister, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid.
The strategy, approved by the UAE Cabinet on Tuesday, set out a comprehensive 10-year plan that aims to make the Emirates a world leader in quality of life.
Ninety projects, to be implemented by various government bodies, and five new centres were launched to support this goal.
The strategy established:
- A National Wellbeing Observatory to track the UAE’s progress against global wellbeing indicators.
- A Future Generations Wellbeing Academy that will train and upskill government employees to adapt to this “new approach to government work”.
- A National Wellbeing Council to manage the implementation of the strategy and ensure government bodies are aligned in their approach.
- Community Design for Wellbeing Centres where communities can design policies and initiatives to boost wellbeing.
- And a National Lab for Behavioral Sciences where scientific and practical approaches to improve wellbeing in policies will be developed.
These centres, coupled with the 90 initiatives, hope to improve the physical and mental health of the population, social relationships, education, and the efficiency of government services.
Ohood Al Roumi, the UAE’s Minister of State for Happiness and Wellbeing, said the strategy represented a “new government approach focusing on individuals in the UAE”.
She said policies and initiatives would be designed considering the wellbeing and happiness of people first and that these would build on the work of the National Program for Happiness and Wellbeing launched in 2016.
The UAE Government’s new strategy will target three main levels: the Nation, Community and Individuals.
On the national level, the strategy aims to ensure a prosperous economy; efficient and effective government in the fields of education, health, social services, security, safety and the rule of law; government work flexibility, reliability, efficiency and transparency; the building of vibrant livable cities and communities; the establishment of a sustainable lifestyle that preserves national resources; support for a vibrant and diverse national culture by organising cultural and recreational activities; maintenance of national identity and cultural diversity, and fostering a connected community.
On the community level it aims to foster cohesive and stable families with strong positive relations and robust values; a co-operative community characterised by strong ties and positive values; and promote Emirati culture and identity.
It also aims to create positive environments for work and education, empower individuals and provide them with opportunities for growth and development, and focus on building secure, meaningful, positive digital communities.
Finally, it also aims to promote active and healthy lifestyles, healthy nutrition options, good mental health, positive thinking and good life skills.
Updated: June 15, 2019 12:35 PM