Changes to federal government, as announced by Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid
Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid, Vice President and Ruler of Dubai, announced changes throughout the federal government during a “Dialogue of the Future” on Twitter that lasted for three hours on Monday evening.
Approved by President Sheikh Khalifa, these amount to the largest structural change in the UAE government’s history, Sheikh Mohammed said, and encompass sweeping adjustments across all sectors as well as the creation of new ministerial posts and government panels.
Government and foreign affairs
• The Ministry of Foreign Affairs’ will now also oversee the UAE’s international aid and abroad, merging with the Ministry of International Cooperation and Development.
• The Ministry will have two ministers of state tasked with overseeing foreign aid and enhancing UAE relations with other countries.
• The Ministry of Cabinet Affairs will now be called the Ministry of Cabinet Affairs and Future. This ministry is tasked with preparing for the UAE’s “post-oil future”.
• A post has been created for Minister of State for Tolerance.
Society and culture
• The Ministry of Social Affairs was renamed the Ministry of Community Development.
• The Marriage Fund has now been integrated into the same ministry.
• A Minister of State for Happiness has been created, with a mission to “channel policies and plans” towards creating a happier society.
• The Ministry of Culture will become the Ministry of Culture and Knowledge Development.
• A UAE Youth National Council will comprise young men and women who will serve as advisers to the Government on youth issues. It will be led by a female Minister of State for Youth who is no older than 22.
•The ministries of Education and Higher Education have been merged. One minister will be supported by two ministers of state.
• The Ministry of Education will now supervise all levels of learning, from nurseries to higher education.
• A higher council of education and human resources has been created.
• The Ministry of Health has been restructured and renamed, and will focus more on prevention of diseases.
• An independent entity will be created to oversee and manage public hospitals.
Labour and economy
• The Ministry of Labour will become the Ministry of Human Resources and Emiratisation.
• The country’s human resources authority, Tanmia, will be attached to the ministry.
• The Ministry of Economy will now be connected to the National Council of Tourism and Antiquities.
Environment and science
• The Ministry of Environment and Water was renamed to the Ministry of Climate Change and Environment.
• A UAE Council of Scientists has been established to review national policy in science, technology and innovation
Updated: February 8, 2016 04:00 AM