Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 19 July 2019

Footballer denies raping woman in hotel room on Palm Jumeirah

The 30-year-old footballer who represented the UAE in the 2011 AFC Asian Cup denied charges in court

A footballer who invited a Lebanese mother to dinner then allegedly raped her in a hotel room on the Palm Jumeirah denied the charges at Dubai Criminal Court on Monday.

“No, I didn't do it,” said the 30-year-old Emirati, who has represented the UAE.

It was then that the 36-year-old woman approached the bench to tell the judges she wants to see justice served.

Prosecutors said the man called his friend on March 26 and asked her if she would join him for dinner at a five-star hotel and told her she could bring her friend and he will bring his.

The defendant, who The National cannot name, picked her and her friend up from her apartment at about 9.30pm that day, she said. They arrived at the hotel and found that he had booked her a room for the night and one for himself.

Read more: Footballer ‘raped a mother in hotel room after five-star dinner on Palm Jumeirah’

The two women headed to the room then to the swimming pool before later meeting with the defendant and his friend at the hotel restaurant.

“The four of us had dinner, after which our friends left the hotel, so I headed to my room. He walked me back then remained at the reception - he told me he still had to finalise his booking,” said the woman.

The accused called her a few minutes after she got into her room, she said, and asked for a mobile phone charger. When he came to her room to pick it up, he had some alcohol with him and offered her some.

“After we had a few drinks, he started flirting with me and he got closer to me, so I pushed him. He pushed me against the wall then dragged me by my hair and threw me on the bed, after which he raped me,” she said. “I resisted him but he was stronger.”

The woman told prosecutors she was crying and begging the footballer to allow her to leave the room but he refused, fearing that she would go to police.

“I told him if he wanted to kill me just go ahead and do it. If not, let me leave, for the sake of my children,” said the woman.

He let her go then she told hotel security and they called police who arrived and arrested the defendant. The woman was referred to Rashid Hospital.

The footballer did not attend his first hearing in court to face a rape charge. His lawyer said he was unable to attend due to his son’s serious illness.

The next hearing will be held on October 12.

Updated: September 19, 2017 06:07 PM