The two men, one driving a passenger-filled bus and the other, whose lorry was parked on the side of the road, face 13 counts of manslaughter and 14 counts of injury as a result of the May crash.
Drivers in Dubai accident to face manslaughter charges
DUBAI // Public prosecution has charged two drivers with 13 counts of manslaughter and 14 counts of injury as a result of a May crash where 13 labourers were killed, the chief traffic prosecutor said.
According to the penal code, federal traffic law and religious blood money law, the crimes are punishable by up to seven years of imprisonment, fines and settlement of Dh2.6 million in blood money to the heirs of the deceased.
On May 10, a bus transporting workers from their accommodation in Umm Al Quwain to Jebel Ali ploughed into the back of a stationary lorry on Emirates Road. Many were dead by the time paramedics arrived at the scene near exit 50 shortly after the crash at 6.30am.
Upon the directive of Dubai’s general prosecutor, Essam Al Humaidan, investigations of the accident used defendant statements, witness reports and reports from experts. The first suspect, a 26-year-old Pakistani, said the 30-passenger-capacity bus he was driving suddenly broke down, causing it to swerve and hit a heavy lorry that had been parked on the side of the road by the second suspect, a 45-year-old Pakistani.
The second suspect said his lorry’s braking system broke down the previous evening and he had been parked on the side of the road since then.
Salah Al Falasi, chief traffic prosecutor, praised the exemplary performance demonstrated by all the police officers and experts who assisted the investigations.
He also praised the humanitarian efforts made to assist the families of the deceased and the welfare of the injured.