x Abu Dhabi, UAEMonday 24 July 2017

Dead triplets had inhaled pesticide, police say

Two baby boys who died last weekend had inhaled toxic pesticides used to fumigate their neighbours' flat, according to a police forensic report.

Suhail and Ali Bakari, aged five months, had inhaled pesticide before they died, according to police.
Suhail and Ali Bakari, aged five months, had inhaled pesticide before they died, according to police.

AJMAN // Two baby triplets who died last weekend had inhaled toxic pesticides used to fumigate their neighbours' flat, according to a police forensic report. Brig Ali Alwan, the head of Ajman Police, said yesterday that "strong traces" of pesticide chemicals had been found in the blood of the five-month-old boys, Suhail and Ali Bakari. Their sister, Halla, the third triplet, also fell ill on Friday but survived. Yesterday, she was discharged from Sheikh Khalifa Hospital, where she had spent the last three days.

The boys died on Saturday as they were being taken back to hospital. They will be buried in Ajman today. Brig Alwan said toxic fumes from the pesticides had entered the family's apartment through an open kitchen window. The parents and their triplets fell ill on Friday with stomach pains after pest-controllers sprayed their neighbour's flat on Thursday evening. The families live in an apartment building near Safeer Mall, in Naeemiya.

Brig Alwan said the police investigation would continue to establish if anyone was to blame for the tragedy. Officers have been questioning the pest control firm which fumigated the apartment, and the family who own it. The name of the company has not been made public. @Email:ykakande@thenational.ae