A bogus witch-doctor asked woman for Dh1,000 to remove spell cast on her husband by a second wife she didn't know he had, a Dubai court hears.
Woman denies using magic to remove spell cast on beautician's husband
DUBAI // A witch doctor told a woman her husband was under the spell of a second wife he had wed in secret – but it could be broken if she paid her Dh1,000, a court heard yesterday.
The accused, M?B, 50, from Algeria, also asked for drops of the man’s semen, although she claims she actually asked for his sweat.
She denies practising magic, saying she is blessed by God with special powers.
Prosecutors said the Algerian met the wife, R?Y, an Egyptian beautician, after selling her a luck card at a salon in Muraqqabat on November 3, 2010.
The wife said the Algerian put the card on her chest and recited verses from the Quran before asking her questions. She said she then told her: “Your husband is married to another woman, he has two daughters from her, his father is dead and his mother is sick and his other wife has cast a spell on him.”
She said the Algerian offered to remove the spell using honey, candles and a napkin containing the husband’s semen. It would cost Dh1,000.
The wife told her husband, who contacted the police and a sting operation was set up.
The Algerian was arrested when the wife met her to hand over the money.
“I do not do my magic, I use the Quran to help others,” she told the arresting officers.
The Algerian claimed she had been approached by the beautician, who wanted to help a Filipina friend who was having trouble conceiving.
“I told her I could read certain Quran verses over some olive oil and dried figs that the Filipina should then eat. Then, by God’s will, she would get pregnant,” said the Algerian.
“I did not ask her for a napkin containing her husband’s semen – I told her a napkin that has some drops of her sweat.”
The Algerian said she was visiting the UAE for the first time and did not have a criminal record.
She is charged with using magic to defraud others but did not appear at the Misdemeanour Court yesterday. The next hearing was scheduled for January 22.