Abu Dhabi, UAESaturday 24 August 2019

UAE family matters Q&As: I want divorce but husband says he won’t cancel my visa

One reader asks about visa sponsorship amid a divorce, while another asks about his dead wife’s assets.

My husband and I are both Asians but are Muslims who live in the UAE. He sponsors me and although I want to divorce him, he said he is not ready to cancel my visa. What should I do? Should I just leave without getting my visa cancelled? Can I get a travel ban if I do that?

This situation will be sorted out simply as once you have filed for divorce and it becomes irrevocable after the mandatory three-month waiting period, your ex-husband will not be able to sponsor you any longer. This means that once you’re divorced, you will be able to file a request with immigration to cancel your residence visa. Once they have seen a copy of your divorce judgment they will act to revoke your visa status.

I am a Muslim man who was married to a woman of a different religion but, unfortunately, she died recently. She left behind a few properties and assets, all of which are in the UAE. Is it possible to let me know if I can inherit her assets and how much of it I might get?

Unfortunately, there is little you can do. Article 318 of the Personal Status Law states simply, and without exception, "there is no inheritance if religions are different". That means that even if you were to seek a share of your late wife’s assets, the court would be prohibited from granting you such inheritance due to this law.

If you have a question for our legal consultant, email media@professionallawyer.me with the subject line "Family Matters".

Updated: August 31, 2017 10:41 AM