x Abu Dhabi, UAETuesday 25 July 2017

Three in court over 'Dh6,000 ransom' double kidnapping

The Dubai Court of First Instance will deliver on February 25 the verdict on three Bangladeshi men facing kidnapping charges.

DUBAI // Three men are accused of kidnapping a fellow Bangladeshi and holding him hostage until a ransom was paid. The gang then allegedly went on to kidnap a relative of the man who delivered the ransom money, demanding a second payment for their release. The three men were charged at the Dubai Criminal Court of First Instance yesterday of kidnapping, threatening behaviour, and assault. The gang allegedly kidnapped Mohin Kalobautry on November 5 of last year after persuading him to pay a visit to one of the gang members. The prosecution said the victim was kidnapped and held at an apartment in Satwa before being moved to an abandoned flat in Al Qusais.

The defendants demanded Dh6,000 (US$1,600) for his release and ordered him to raise the money through his friends, the prosecution said. After a friend delivered the ransom money, he was contacted again by the gang, who said they had snatched a relative of his and that a further Dh8,000 would have to be paid for his release, the court was told. The defendants KS, 27, a tailor described as the ring leader, DR, 30, and MA, 26, both labourers, denied the charges. The court adjourned the case until February 25 when the verdict will be delivered.

@Email:amustafa@thenational.ae