A student and his fiancée are charged with assaulting a 19-year-old salesman at a furniture shop with a sword after accusing him of flirting with the woman.
Sword cuts off Dubai man's finger, court hears
Dubai // A student and his fiancée are charged with assaulting a 19-year-old salesman at a furniture shop with a sword after accusing him of flirting with the woman.
BH, a 23-year-old stateless man and his Emirati fiancée, MS, 15, called the victim, arranged to meet him near his workplace, and attacked him with a sword, prosecutors told The Court of Misdemeanours.
The attack left the victim's elbow severely damaged and severed a finger, prosecutors said.
MS has been referred to Juvenile Court on the assault charge.
According to records, the couple said the salesman, an Iranian, HA, was flirting with the girl when she visited his shop. HA said he knew the girl and her brother but had never flirted with her.
BH told prosecutors that when he got engaged to MS, she and her brother told him that an Iranian man was harassing her. He took the man's number and called him, he said, adding that they had a heated argument on the phone.
Records said that on July 26, 2010, the suspects met with HA in front of Emirates Petrol Station in Al Satwa; BH immediately slapped him while accusing him of flirting with M S.
The victim said that before he had a chance to defend himself, BH drew a sword he was hiding behind his back, and swung at his neck.
HA said he shielded his neck with his left arm. As a result, his middle finger was cut off and his left elbow was severely injured.
HA told prosecutors he started screaming and BH fled, but B H turned and yelled, "Don't call the police".
However, H A contacted police, who arrived soon with an ambulance, which took him to Rashid Hospital so his finger could be reattached.
He denied he had been calling and harassing the girl. No previous phone calls from the victim were found on M S' phone, the court heard.
Records showed that BH said he met with HA and a fight erupted, during which he hit the man with a rock and left him on the ground in pain.
The next hearing has been scheduled for February 8, because BH told the court he would get a waiver from the victim.