x Abu Dhabi, UAETuesday 23 January 2018

Police impersonator raped Sharjah student, court hears

The university student got into the car believing she was being arrested by a policeman, but was attacked instead.

DUBAI // A bogus police officer who raped a university student on the back seat of his car was caught after leaving her his phone number, a court heard today.

The student got into the car believing she was being arrested after being caught alone with a male friend, but was instead forced into the back, stripped and raped. During the attack the bogus policeman told her she should be enjoying herself, and afterwards wrote his number on a piece of paper and gave it to her saying they could be friends.

Prosecutors told the Criminal Court that the student, 19, from Egypt, left her university in Sharjah to meet her friend FA, 22, an Emirati at about 4pm on January 2 this year. The pair were in the friend's car when AM, 26, an Emirati, knocked on their window and introduced himself as a policeman.

"He asked us what we were doing and we said we weren't doing anything wrong," recalled the friend.

The bogus policeman started talking on his phone, and threatened to report the young couple to police.

"I pleaded with him to calm him down and asked him not to make a big deal of the matter because we hadn't done anything wrong," said the female student.

The bogus policeman then told her to go home so she got into her Toyota Yaris and drove down Al Ittihad Road towards her home in Abu Hail.

While she was driving she saw the policeman driving next to her and waving at her to pull over.

When she did so he asked her to go to a nearby car park where he would take her testimony. He then demanded she get into his car, threatening that otherwise he would call her mother, and locked the doors before attacking her.

"I begged him to let me go and I cried so hard but he didn't listen, he was talking about how I should enjoy it as he played with my hair," recalled the student.

After he had raped her the bogus policeman insisted they exchange telephone numbers and told her he would call her so they could be friends. He then let her go.

The girl called her friend and told him about the attack. "She was crying hysterically and when I met with her she told me what happened so I asked my brother, who is a policeman, for advice. He said we should go to a police station," said the friend.

The girl's sister and mother were called and all three went to the Muraqqabat police station.

AM was arrested the next day at nearly 3am at his house.

In court, he denied charges of rape, kidnap and impersonation of an officer.

"It was her friend who kidnapped her, I only threw my number on a piece of paper at her," the defendant told the court.

A forensics examination found traces of the defendant's DNA on the girl's body.

The next hearing was scheduled for April 22 to assign a defence lawyer.