Man left permanently disabled after Dubai nightclub attack, court hears
The victim was left in a coma and underwent brain surgery
A man suffered life-changing injuries in a Dubai nightclub attack, a court was told.
The Saudi Arabian man, 36, suffered a brain haemorrhage after being slapped to the ground at a night spot in Al Barsha, the Dubai Criminal Court heard.
An Emirati student allegedly struck the man after he bumped into him at about 1.30am on June 19 of last year.
“I just slapped him then he fell to the ground,” said the accused, 21, according to court records.
The man's brothers, who where with him at the time, came to his aid.
The accused said he tried to help the unresponsive victim and urged his brothers to call for an ambulance.
The man was taken to hospital, where he underwent surgery to stop the bleeding on his brain. He was in a coma at one stage.
The victim spent several weeks in hospital.
Doctors said he lost his hearing completely and struggles to maintain his balance as a result of the incident.
The Emirati suspect is charged with carrying out a physical assault that caused permanent disability.
He was not present in court on Sunday to enter a plea.
The case was adjourned until May 29.
Updated: May 19, 2019 04:30 PM