x Abu Dhabi, UAESaturday 22 July 2017

Man denies taking part in beating

Victim was attacked by six people and left partially disabled, prosecutors said.

 

DUBAI // A man this morning denied being one of six people who beat a man badly enough to cause him permanent disability, saying the victim had given him a waiver showing his innocence.
AS, a 39-year-old Emirati, told the Dubai Criminal Court of First Instance he had been framed for the August 13 attack.

“I didn’t do it, your honour, I am innocent and I was detained for a week for something I did not do,” he said.

Prosecutors accused AS of being one of six men who attacked the victim, MS. The men broke his nose, prosecutors said.

MA, a Bur Dubai police sergeant, testified that MS came to the station and filed a report against six men.

“We showed him pictures of suspects on the system and he identified the defendant AS,” MA testified.

AS was arrested on January 19 this year in Al Qouz area near Al Khail Mall. He said MA had since provided a signed statement that AS was innocent.

A verdict is expected on April 14.

 

salamir@thenational.ae