Abu Dhabi, UAETuesday 16 July 2019

Duo 'kidnapped man, beat him with metal bar then tied him up in car'

Pakistani men told police it was related to a family dispute but they denied charges of kidnap and assault in court.

Two Pakistanis are accused of kidnapping a man, beating him with a metal bar then tying him to the driver’s seat of a car using duct tape.

Prosecutors told Dubai Criminal Court that the defendants, aged 38 and 32, abducted the man from near his car on the night of March 15 then hit him all over his body before taking him away in a Honda Civic.

They allegedly tied the man’s hands, gagged him, covered his eyes and face using duct tape then taped him to the driver’s seat and told him they would kill him.

The 33-year-old Emirati said he was heading to his car when he was taken by surprise by an attack by two men.

“It was about 4am when it happened, it was dark and I didn’t see who was assaulting me or with what but I was hit on my leg with what I think was a sword,” said the man, who fell to the ground and saw their faces and realised that they were relatives.

The Emirati, who is of Pakistani origin, was then shoved into the car boot, bleeding. After driving for a while, he was moved to the back seat of the car before the two men took him to a remote area in Al Rashidiya.

“The put me in the driver’s seat then fixed me to it using duct tape. They told me they wanted to kill me, throw my body in the desert then surrender to police,” the man said.

The pair drove to a different location where they left the man bleeding in the car and took a different vehicle and drove away.

Hands restrained, the Emirati banged his head of the window to draw the attention of a passing runner.

“I had seen the car passing me by, then I saw it parked and, as I passed it, I heard noises coming from inside. I called for a number of Pakistani men nearby, who came to help, and when we opened the car’s door, we found the man bleeding,” said the 51-year-old Emirati runner, who called police.

The injured Emirati was referred to hospital, where he was found to be suffering from fractures in his leg, face and nose, in additional to other wounds to the head and body.

Police arrested both men as they were trying to flee the country from Dubai International Airport.

“One was flying to the UK, while the other was heading to Pakistan,” said a policeman, 37, adding that when he questioned the men, they admitted the crime and said that they attacked him over a family dispute.

However, both men denied charges of kidnap and assault in court on Tuesday.

The next hearing is on August 27.

Updated: July 25, 2017 03:59 PM