x Abu Dhabi, UAESunday 21 January 2018

Dubai man threw wife from second-floor balcony, court hears

Man denies a charge of attempted murder, as wife accuses husband of urinating on her before throwing her out of a second-floor balcony.

DUBAI // A drunk man beat his wife before urinating on her and throwing her from a second-floor balcony, a court heard today.

FZ, an 18-year-old Tajik housewife, told the Criminal Court that her husband JS, a 37-year-old Tajik businessman, told her to bring their daughter and meet him at a hotel apartment he was renting in Al Rafaa on April 8.

When she arrived at about 8.30pm he was not there so a hotel worker opened the apartment for her and she waited for him to arrive.

Ten minutes later he came in and when she asked him what he had been doing an argument ensued.

"He started screaming at me then hit me several times on my head while I was holding our baby" said the wife.

She said she begged him to stop and asked why he was hitting her, but he didn't reply, instead snatching her mobile phone and smashing it on the floor.

He then called another woman and told her he had assaulted his wife. "She told him that I deserved it and that I had relations with other men and that she could find another woman for him to marry," said the wife.

"He then urinated on me and our baby then left."

The woman said she could remember nothing after this until she woke up at hospital.

Prosecutors claim her husband threw her off the apartment's second-storey balcony. Her husband denies this, claiming that she jumped after he confronted her about working as a prostitute.

The Indian security guard JS, 23, said he heard the sound of the woman's body hitting the ground outside the hotel and went to help.

"She whispered into my ear that her baby was in the apartment," said the security guard.

He said the woman's husband arrived so he went to the hotel reception to report what had happened. When he returned the husband had disappeared.

The husband told the court that he ran away because he was afraid police would arrest him for a number of bounced cheques he had written.

He was arrested nearby shortly after fleeing the scene.

The woman's father, DZ, a 50-year-old Tajik businessman, said his friend had told him his daughter had been involved in an accident and taken to Rashid Hospital.

"I rushed to the hospital along with my wife and saw my daughter bruised, with broken legs and blood stains on her. She told me her husband threw her off a second-floor balcony."

The husband denied a charge of attempted murder. The case was adjourned to October 10.