x Abu Dhabi, UAEThursday 27 July 2017

Brawl victim is left 40 per cent disabled

One of two men claiming Dh1.5 million compensation for injuries he says he suffered in an alcohol bootlegging brawl has a 40 per cent disability, court-appointed doctors say.

SHARJAH // One of two men claiming Dh1.5 million compensation for injuries he says he suffered in an alcohol bootlegging brawl has a 40 per cent disability, court-appointed doctors say.

Mushtaq Ahmed, who filed the case against 17 Indian men convicted of killing another man in the 2009 brawl, said after a hearing yesterday at Sharjah Civil Court that the medical reports strengthened his claim.

"The defence team was saying nothing has happened to me," said Mr Ahmed, who was found to have a 30 per cent disability in his left hand and 10 per cent in his right hand. "They said I am fine but the doctor has checked and the truth has now come out. I cannot work because I am still in pain."

He said he was in hospital for 10 days with serious injuries.

This year, the Sharjah Civil Court appointed a medical committee to examine Mr Ahmed, and a copy of the medical records was given to the court and the defence team.

Last year, the 17 were spared a death sentence after paying Dh3.4 million blood money to the dead victim's family.

Yesterday, the Sharjah Court adjourned the civil compensation case, filed last year, to July 11. At that time, attested medical records of Shahid Iqbal, Mr Ahmed's brother who lives in Pakistan and claims he was also injured in the brawl, are expected to be produced.

pkannan@thenational.ae