x Abu Dhabi, UAEMonday 24 July 2017

Boy, 2, 'may have died of food poisoning'

The body of Kevin Jinesh Mavara, who died of suspected food poisoning in Sharjah on Saturday morning, will be taken to India in a day or two, his family has said.

The body of a two-year-old boy who died of suspected food poisoning in Sharjah on Saturday morning will be taken to India in a day or two, his family has said.

Kevin Jinesh Mavara and his father, Jinesh Abraham Mavara, fell sick on Thursday evening shortly after a meal of chicken and rice. "They were taken to hospital but the boy could not survive. The father is recovering and is at home," Regi George, a relative, said.

"We are waiting for the postmortem report to find out the exact cause of the death," he said.

Mr Mavara's wife, Priya, who works as a nurse at the Royal Hospital in Sharjah, was on duty on Thursday evening and did not eat with her family.

Mr Mavara, who works as a supervisor in Aries Marine Engineering Services, and Mrs Mavara have lived in the UAE for three years. Kevin was their only son.

frahman@thenational.ae