x Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 19 January 2018

Accused WhatsApp rapist offered to marry victim, hears Dubai court

Man who raped a woman he met through WhatsApp has a criminal record of sexual assaults, hears court.

DUBAI // A man raped a woman he met through social media – and then just hours later promised to marry her, a court heard yesterday.

Prosecutors said that F M, 29, an Emirati, used WhatsApp to strike up a relationship with his compatriot, 24, before convincing her to meet him face-to-face.

“The first time he told me he texted my number by mistake, and then we started texting and the relationship grew into love,” recalled the woman. “He told me he was divorced and has a child who lives with his family.”

She said she met him on February 27 to tell him a man had proposed to her.

“He met with me and my friend at the Global Village and then he took me in his car for a short drive,” she said.

When he drove to a remote area of desert she became scared and asked him to take her back.

He refused, parking the car and groping her instead.

“He forced himself upon me and I couldn’t resist him because he was very strong,” said the woman.

He then raped her.

The woman said the attack was so forceful she was left bleeding. “I was shaking and feeling dizzy and I lost track of time,” she said.

The man then drove her back to the Global Village and she returned home with her friend.

“He called me later that night and promised to marry me, he kept stalling for about two weeks claiming that once his financial conditions got better, he would marry me.

“I felt he was lying so I reported him to police.”

After she reported the man, he called her mother and told her the sex was consensual and that her daughter was promiscuous.

M A, a police officer, told the court that the man admitted having sex with the woman three times, but claimed each occasion was with her consent.

A forensics examination on the woman found no signs of forceful sex.

At the Criminal Court the man denied a charge of rape. “This did not happen, I didn’t do anything to her. I met her once at a public place and she was with her friend,” he told the judge.

The case was adjourned to November 17.