x Abu Dhabi, UAESunday 23 July 2017

Transfer talk: July 20 - Rodgers will listen to offers to sell Carroll

The Liverpool manager says he has been honest with striker on his future at Anfield, while Arsenal receive three bids for Robin van Persie.

Andy Carroll's time at Liverpool appears to be drawing to a close.
Andy Carroll's time at Liverpool appears to be drawing to a close.

Liverpool boss Brendan Rodgers insists there is no chance of Andy Carroll leaving the club on loan, but acknowledged the club will consider any offers they receive for the striker.

The Anfield club are understood to have turned down a bid from the England international's former club Newcastle to re-sign him on a season-long loan earlier this month.

Carroll's Liverpool future is still far from certain, though, after a disappointing first 18 months on Merseyside since his £35 million (Dh202m) move from Newcastle.

Rodgers told Sky Sports News: "I've spoken openly and honestly with Andy in terms of where he is at, but I have done the same with all of the players, I have spoken to all of them, I have had communication with all of the group.

"It gets highlighted more with Andy because he is a young player. Maybe others may not see him fitting in with me, but for me he is an important part of the group.

"There is talk of him going on loan, but there is absolutely no way I would be looking to loan a player like that, especially after the investment the club have paid.

"But his condition will be the same as every player. If an offer comes in for any player at the club we would either look at it, or dismiss it, and Andy's no different to that."

Meanwhile, Arsenalhave received three bids, from Manchester City, Manchester United and Juventus for striker Robin van Persie.

The Dutch forward announced last month he does not plan to sign a new deal with Arsenal, with his present deal due to expire next summer, leading to interest from the club's English Premier League rivals and the Serie A champions.

Elsewhere, Wigan Athletic chairman Dave Whelan has told Chelsea to come up with £10 million or forget signing Victor Moses.

Blues boss Roberto Di Matteo this week admitted his interest in Latics midfielder Moses amid reports of an impasse over the valuation of the player.

The European champions are said to have offered £4m and a choice of one of their fringe players either on loan, or a player to the value of that sum.

But Whelan told ESPN: "They need to pay the brass up front - we don't want any part-exchange deals they have offered.

"Victor is one of the most exciting young talents around, so little wonder Chelsea want him, but if they want him they are going to have to pay the price.

"We are not interested in picking up one of their players on loan or in part exchange.

"They know the price for Moses. We are looking to reach £10m.

"If that means £8m cash and some add-ons, that fine, as the lad knows that we want him to stay but that we won't stand in his way either.

"I don't like standing in the way of a young player who can make the jump to one of Europe's great clubs and play well for them, I would just wish him all the best.

"But really we don't want him to go, he will be worth £15m or £20m after a few months with a club like Chelsea.

twitter Follow us @SprtNationalUAE