x Abu Dhabi, UAEMonday 24 July 2017

Transfer talk: July 19 - Chelsea confirm Victor Moses move

The National's daily guide to the latest big name moves and transfer deals taking place in world football.

Luka Modric fires on goal during Tottenham's derby game with Arsenal
Luka Modric fires on goal during Tottenham's derby game with Arsenal

Roberto Di Matteo has confirmed Chelsea are in talks with Wigan in a bid to sign Nigeria forward Victor Moses.

Wigan chairman Dave Whelan claimed earlier this week that he had rejected a bid from Chelsea for Moses because it failed to match £10million (Dh57.5m) valuation of the 21-year-old.

Now the Stamford Bridge manager has confirmed the European champions are keen to complete a deal for the highly-rated former Crystal Palace player, who will be out of contract at the end of this coming season.

Di Matteo, currently in the United States with Chelsea for their pre-season tour, said "It's something that the clubs are discussing but at the moment he is a Wigan player.

"He had a good season last season, he is young and an interesting prospect."

---

New Tottenham manager Andre Villas-Boas has warned clubs looking to sign Luka Modric that the Croatia playmaker will not be sold on the cheap.

Real Madrid are thought to be leading the chase for the 26-year-old, though Manchester United and Qatar-backed Paris St Germain are also among the potential suitors for the player.

But with Tottenham valuing the player at £35million (Dh201m), Villas-Boas is not prepared to let the player - who is under contract at White Hart Lane until 2016 - go until the price is right.

"There has been continuous interest from three different clubs in Luka," he said.

"But it is important for Tottenham to hold onto their rights. His situation will continue as it is until the price is right.

"It's important to understand his feelings. We have been speaking and I understand his point and he understands the club's point."

---

Roma have confirmed the signing of Brazilian defender Leandro Castan from Corinthians.

The 25-year-old centre-back moves to Italy in a deal worth EU5m (Dh22.5m).

Castan, who began his professional career at Atletico Mineiro and joined Corinthians in 2010, has agreed a four-year deal at the Stadio Olympico.

---

Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has admitted the club are keen to land Fulham striker Clint Dempsey.

The Anfield side have been heavily linked with the USA international - with Fulham forced to issue a statement saying they had not received an offer earlier after an erroneous web posting by Liverpool's US owners.

The West London outfit are keen to keep hold of the 29-year-old - who has one year left on his contract - having already lost Andrew Johnson, Pavel Pogrebnyak and Orlando Sa this summer.

"Clint is a player we've enquired about, it is as simple as that," said Rodgers.

"Ian Ayre, our managing director, has spoken with the club to see what the position is. That is where we're at.

"He's a very talented player but we don't like to talk about other clubs' players."

---

Meanwhile Fulham could replace Dempsey with Juventus striker Vincenzo Iaquinta, according to reports in Italy.

The former Italy striker spent the end of last season loan to Cesena and looks set to leave the Turin side this summer.

Iaquinta's agent, Andrea D'Amico, confirmed Fulham as a potential destination for the 32-year-old.

"We are verifying a number of different options for Iaquinta in Italy, but especially in England," D'Amico told Calcio Sport 24.

"Fulham? That is a concrete hypothesis."

---

West Ham have completed the signing of Modibo Maiga from Sochaux for an undisclosed fee.

The 24-year-old had been regularly linked with a move to English football.

Maiga, who can play as a centre forward or on the wing, joins on a four-year deal with an option for a further two years.