x Abu Dhabi, UAESaturday 22 July 2017

Transfer talk: August 26 - Owen still looking for club, Sahin joins Liverpool

The National's daily guide to the latest big name moves and deals taking place across world football.

Michael Owen during his time at Manchester United - the former England star will not now be joining Al Shabab.
Michael Owen during his time at Manchester United - the former England star will not now be joining Al Shabab.

Duncan Castles previews the final week of the transfer window.  Read his views here.

---

Michael Owen believes he will still find a top fight club before the transfer window closes next weekend.

The 32-year-old former England forward was released by Manchester United at the end of last season, after three years at Old Trafford.

He was in talks over a move to Al Shabab in the Pro League earlier this summer, but now believes he will find a new club by the end of the week.

He added: "I've spoken to quite a few teams and it's a case of picking the best which is going to suit me and my family.

"I've said before I'd prefer that to be in the Premier League and that remains the case.

"Different things will form the basis of making the right choice: location - it would be great if I could stay at home but if not then so be it.

"The quality of the team, the manager - everything really so hopefully I shall pick the right one."

---

Al Wasl have signed former Al Jazira defender Lucas Neill. Read our full story here.

---

Liverpool have confirmed the loan signing of Nuri Sahin from Real Madrid.

The 23-year-old Turkey international, who was also a target for Arsenal, becomes Brendan Rodgers' fourth new signing at Anfield.

The midfielder credited Jose Mourinho with convincing him to move to the English Premier League.

"We spoke and he told me that English football, especially the Premier League, is the best to enjoy as a footballer," Sahin said..

"He also told me about how he and Brendan Rodgers worked together at Chelsea and that he's a good coach and person. That's important for me. It's not only football, it was very important for me to have someone who I can speak with."

---

Fiorentina striker Stevan Jovetic will not leave the club before the close of the transfer window, insists the club's co-owner Andrea Della Valle.

Jovetic has been linked with a move away from the Viola this summer, with Manchester City and Juventus among those tipped to sign the player.

But the 22-year-old has not been the subject of a bid, despite an agreement being in place with the club allowing him to leave for an offer of more than EU30m (Dh137.9m), and now the club is determined to hold on to him

"Jovetic is going nowhere," Della Valle told Calciomercato.com

"He's under contract and there is no release clause. A gentleman's agreement exists, but we will absolutely not be letting him go now.