Abu Dhabi, UAEThursday 6 August 2020

Rafael Nadal will play Madrid, raising doubts over US Open participation

US Open from August 31-September 13 with Spanish event starting slated the day after

Rafael Nadal has pulled out of defending the US Open title he won in New York last year. AP
Rafael Nadal has pulled out of defending the US Open title he won in New York last year. AP

Rafael Nadal said on Tuesday that he will take part in the Madrid Open, raising doubts about whether he intends to defend his title at the US Open.

The US Open, whose fate still hangs in the balance, is scheduled to run from August 31 to September 13 on the hard courts of New York while the main draw at the Madrid event on clay starts on September 14.

Madrid will serve as a warmup for the rescheduled French Open, the claycourt Grand Slam that begins on September 20.

The Madrid tournament director Feliciano Lopez tweeted: "I have spoken to my friend Rafael Nadal who confirmed his participation in Madrid in September. As always, we await you with open arms in the Caja Magica!"

Nadal answered: "That's right Feli. See you in September in Madrid. Meanwhile everything is going well!"

The United States has seen a sharp resurgence of new coronavirus cases, leading to fresh doubts about whether the US Open will take place.

Leading players, including world number three Dominic Thiem, have said they expect a decision from US Open organisers this week.

Updated: July 7, 2020 08:01 PM

SHARE

SHARE

Editor's Picks
THE DAILY NEWSLETTER
Sign up to our daily email
Most Popular