West Bromwich Albion have turned away a bid from QPR for defender Jonas Olsson; Mahamadou Diarra will miss the African Cup of Nations; Tony Pulis wants Michael Owen to hang around Stoke City for now.
Premier League notebook: West Brom turn away QPR bid for Jonas Olsson
West Bromwich Albion have rejected a bid from Queens Park Rangers believed to be around £5 million (Dh29.5m) for Jonas Olsson. The defender only signed a new four-year contract with the club in October.
The Swedish international is reported to be keen on a move to London for family reasons but he is also understood to have reservations about any potential move to Loftus Road given their precarious position in the Premier League.
West Brom's manager, Steve Clarke, made it clear last week he has no desire to let Olsson, 29, go during the January transfer window - and that stance has not altered.
Clarke said: "Why would I expect to lose Jonas in January? January is the silly season. We can hang on to every single player. We don't have to sell anybody."
Mahamadou Diarra will not play for Mali at the African Cup of Nations in South Africa because of injury.
The 31 year old has been struggling with a knee complaint and has not featured for Fulham since their 3-0 home loss to Tottenham Hotspur on December 1.
Martin Jol, the Fulham manager, had made his frustration clear over the fact Mali still intended to call up Diarra for the tournament, which kicks off on January 19.
Tony Pulis, the Stoke manager, has stressed he wants to see Michael Owen remain with the club for the rest of the season.
Owen's first-team playing time since joining Stoke in the summer has been restricted to four substitute appearances and then a start in last weekend's 0-0 English FA Cup third-round draw at Crystal Palace.
Reports have linked the 33 year old with a January transfer window switch to the Australian club Perth Glory.
Asked about that, Pulis, said: "Is it true, is it not true? You just don't know. I read a story yesterday in the papers that [the Manchester United striker] Danny Welbeck was available. Ask [his manager] Sir Alex Ferguson what he thinks about that. You have to deal with it [the speculation]."
Andre Villas-Boas has played down reports linking him with a bid for Leandro Damiao and insists it is "unlikely" the Brazil striker will move to Tottenham.
Emmanuel Adebayor's decision to go to the African Cup of Nations has led to renewed speculation that Spurs have reignited their interest in the 23 year old. Adebayor's absence leaves Villas-Boas with just one recognised striker in Jermain Defoe.
"Leandro is a player we've always appreciated, that this club appreciated before I arrived, but it's extremely difficult that he's going to join Tottenham," Villas-Boas said. "He's a player that is highly rated in the market, and it's unlikely that he will play for Tottenham."
Follow us @SprtNationalUAE