x Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 19 January 2018

US F1 ask for entry to be put on hold

The troubled team have asked to defer their Formula One debut for a year to 2011, Ken Anderson, the team's principal, has said.

The troubled US F1 team have asked to defer their Formula One debut for a year to 2011, Ken Anderson, the team's principal, said on Tuesday night. "We have applied to the FIA [Federation Internationale de l'Automobile] to hold our entry until 2011," Anderson told autosport.com. "We are waiting for a reply from the FIA and are working with them.

"In the meantime, there is nothing for the employees to do, so we have told them to stop working on the current car until we have a decision." The governing body, who sent Charlie Whiting, the Formula One race director, on a fact-finding mission to the team's factory last week, is expected to announce a final entry list by the end of the week for the season's opening race in Bahrain on March 14. US F1 are one of four new teams handed a slot on the starting grid for 2010 after checks by the governing body, but have struggled to raise finance.

The Serbian-backed Stefan GP (SGP) team, who have taken over the cars designed by Toyota before the Japanese manufacturer pulled out at the end of last year, have been lobbying hard to take US F1's place. "SGP would like to reconfirm its desire and its ability to compete in the whole of the FIA 2010 Formula One World Championship," the team said at the weekend. The FIA could, however, decide to limit the 2010 championship to 12 teams and start taking bids from new teams to enter next year's event.

Meanwhile, Campos Meta yesterday renamed themselves Hispania Racing Team. The Spanish team, which will also be known as HRT-F1, changed names after Jose Ramon Carabante took over the operation from Adrian Campos last week. The team will unveil its drivers today with Bruno Senna, nephew of three-time champion Ayrton, already confirmed. Karun Chandhok, the Indian driver, is expected to partner the Brazilian. * With agencies