UFC fighter Conor McGregor reportedly under investigation for sexual assault
The MMA star announced his retirement from the sport less than a day earlier
Mixed martial arts fighter Conor McGregor is under investigation for sexual assault, it was reported only hours after he declared his retirement from UFC.
Although he has not been charged, McGregor remains under investigation in Ireland after a woman accused him of sexual assault in December, The New York Times reported.
The Ultimate Fighting Championship star was arrested in January and questioned by authorities, before being released pending further investigation, sources told the paper.
• UFC's Conor McGregor arrested in Florida for breaking fan's phone
The woman accusing McGregor said the assault took place at the Beacon Hotel in Dublin, where he occasionally stays.
On Tuesday, Karen Kessler, a spokeswoman for McGregor’s legal team, denied to ESPN that the fighter’s decision to retire on Monday was linked to the investigation.
“The assumption that the Conor retirement announcement today is related to this rumour is absolutely false," Ms Kessler said.
"Should Conor fight in the future it must be in an environment where fighters are respected for their value, their skill, their hard work and their dedication to the sport.”
McGregor announced his retirement on Twitter on Monday after appearing on Jimmy Fallon’s Tonight Show.
“Hey guys, quick announcement. I’ve decided to retire from the sport formally known as Mixed Martial Arts today," he tweeted.
"I wish all my old colleagues well going forward in competition. I now join my former partners on this venture already in retirement. Proper pina coladas on me, fellas,” he said.
McGregor is one of the most successful fighters in mixed martial arts history and one of the highest paid people in sport. He is estimated to have earned $200 million (Dh734.6m) in his career.
He was the first fighter to hold UFC world titles in two different weight divisions but has not fought since his fourth-round submission defeat to Khabib Nurmagomedov in October.
The Irishman stirred controversy when he was arrested in Florida on suspicion of stealing a phone from someone trying to take his photo this month.
He also pleaded guilty to a disorderly conduct charge in Brooklyn, New York, last year.
Updated: March 27, 2019 04:36 AM