Abu Dhabi, UAESaturday 15 August 2020

Ineos announce break from cycling to mourn Nicolas Portal and in response to coronavirus threat

Team not in action again until at least the Volta a Catalunya on March 23

Team Ineos in action during the UAE Tour before the event was cancelled as a safety measure against the potential spread of the coronavirus. AFP
Team Ineos in action during the UAE Tour before the event was cancelled as a safety measure against the potential spread of the coronavirus. AFP

UCI World Tour cycling team Ineos announced on Wednesday evening that they will take a three-week break from competing in races following the death of sports director Nicolas Portal and as a response to the coronavirus threat.

Portal died after a suspected heart attack at the age of 40 in his home in Andorra on Tuesday.

Ineos, who count four-time Tour de France winner Chris Froome, 2018 champion Geraint Thomas as well as 2019 winner Egan Bernal among their riders, will not field teams in prestigious races such as Paris-Nice and Milan-San Remo.

"Team Ineos have today taken the decision to withdraw temporarily from all racing until the Volta a Catalunya on March 23," the team said in a statement.

"We have taken this decision given the unique set of circumstances we are facing following yesterday's tragic news about Nico Portal.

"And clearly we recognise there is also a very uncertain situation with Coronavirus more widely."

The UAE Tour was cancelled last week after two Italian staff members on the race had tested positive for the COVID-19 virus.

After the initial cases, cyclists, team staff and some media were put under lockdown at hotels in Abu Dhabi where they underwent screening, with most cleared to leave over the past few days.

"Cycling is a uniquely mobile sport. We have a duty of care both to our riders and staff but also to the people living in the areas where we race," said Ineos team manager Dave Brailsford.

"We do not want to be in a position where our riders become potentially infected or quarantined on race as has already happened

"Equally we are acutely aware that these are difficult times for all local health services and we do not want to put any additional pressure or burden whatsoever upon them when all their focus should rightly be on their own local population.

"Recent events at the UAE Tour have illustrated some of these challenges for cycling as a sport.

"This pause will give us the time to grieve for Nico in private, to support each other at what is a very sad moment and to treasure the memory of a great and much loved teammate and friend."

Froome was among many people within the cycling community to pay tribute to Portal, with the cyclist writing on Twitter: "My thoughts are with Nico's wife and children tonight. He was the kindest, happiest guy I knew and always lived life to the fullest. Rest In Peace Nico."

Reigning Tour de France champion Thomas also took to Twitter to pay his respects to Portal, writing:

"Can't quite get my head around it, it's too sad. Nico was so talented, warm, genuine and always there when I needed him. He was more than my colleague, he was my friend.

"My thoughts are with his wife and children, who he put above everything else. I'll always remember him dancing with his little girl in Paris in to the early hours. He was too young to be taken away from them. Nico, I'll miss you mate, you were one of the good ones."

Updated: March 5, 2020 02:03 PM

SHARE

SHARE

Editor's Picks
THE DAILY NEWSLETTER
Sign up to our daily email
Most Popular