Becky Lynch beats Ronda Rousey but with the wrong finish: WWE WrestleMania 35 takeaways
History and controversy was made at MetLife Stadium in New Jersey
WrestleMania 35 saw seven championships change hand, the show last almost five-and-a-half hours, and see history and controversy made at the MetLife Stadium in New Jersey.
Here are some of the talking points.
Lynch wins but the wrong way
History was made as women closed a WrestleMania for the first time and the match largely delivered as Becky Lynch, Ronda Rousey and Charlotte Flair put everything they had into it.
Good intensity, some believable nearfalls and really exciting action.
The right person won as well in Lynch. She has garnered real interest in the division with her actions since attempting to turn heel last summer.
The only issue was the manner of the victory. It should have been convincing with Lynch tapping out Rousey after a long struggle as she looked to put her disarmer submission on her opponent.
Instead, we got an unconvincingly roll up pinfall that looked design to protect Rousey, who had never lost in the WWE before Sunday, more then get Lynch over.
This should have been the WWE going all in on Lynch and making clear she, at least on the night, was the clear winner.
Instead, it was initially unclear who won, Rousey was actually the one standing tall as she protested, and it took a few seconds for people to realise Lynch had won as she was given both championships that had been on the line.
It was the right conclusion just executed badly. But Lynch deserves her chance to be the centre of attention and to be the one celebrating as the show closed.
Rollins and Kingston are deserved champions
• WWE WrestleMania 35: Why Ronda Rousey must lose to Becky Lynch in main event
Seth Rollins and Kofi Kingston both won WWE world titles in New Jersey.
Rollins won in less then three minutes against Brock Lesnar to take the WWE Universal title after surviving a pre-match beatdown from his opponent.
Lesnar has been, apart from one two-month reign, champion for two years and the Raw brand has been hurt by having a part-timer carrying the show’s main championship.
Rollins will add excitement and unpredictability to having the belt and it was the right move.
Kingston completed his rise from being simply a tag team competitor as recently as early February to becoming WWE World Heavyweight Champion as he cleanly beat Daniel Bryan.
He may not have a long reign, given him being in the main event scene was never the plan and only happened because Mustafa got injured before Elimination Chamber.
But WWE knew they were on to something with Kingston and have pulled the trigger.
It should make for a fun few months on SmackDown, but it would not be a surprise if Bryan has the title back around his waist by August.
But Kingston will always have WrestleMania 35 and he can long celebrate that.
Surprises on the night
Many of the results were as expected but there were a few surprises.
Shane McMahon getting the win over The Miz was an upset, given Miz had been expected to get the big win to kick start his face turn.
But this is the start of their feud and he can get the win back later.
Peyton Royce and Billie Kay being the victors to become new champions in the Women’s Tag Team match was also surprising given it had appeared that the division was being built around Sasha Banks and Bayley.
But Banks and Bayley can now chase the belts and it should be a fun spring rivalry.
Full WrestleMania 35 results:
- Seth Rollins beat Brock Lesnar to win the Universal Championship
- AJ Styles defeated Randy Orton in a singles match
- The Usos retained the SmackDown Tag Team Championships in a Fatal Four-way against The Bar, Shinsuke Nakamura and Rusev, and Aleister Black and Ricochet
- Shane McMahon beat The Miz in a Falls Count Anywhere match
- Peyton Royce and Billie Kay won the Women’s Tag Championships against Sasha Banks and Bayley, Beth Phoenix and Natalya, and Nia Jax and Tamina
- Kofi Kingston won the WWE World Heavyweight Championship against Daniel Bryan
- Samoa Joe retained the US Championship against Rey Mysterio
- Roman Reigns defeated Drew McIntyre in a singles match
- Triple H beat Batista in a No Holds Barred match
- Baron Corbin defeated Kurt Angle
- Finn Balor won the Intercontinental Championship against Bobby Lashley
- Becky Lynch won both the Raw and SmackDown Women’s championships against Ronda Rousey and Charlotte Flair in a triple threat
- Tony Nese beat Buddy Murphy to win the WWE Cruiserweight Championship
- Carmella won a Women’s Battle Royal
- Braun Strowman won the Andre the Giant Memorial Battle Royal
- Curt Hawkins and Zack Ryder won the Raw Tag Team Titles against The Revival
Updated: April 8, 2019 02:00 PM