Abu Dhabi, UAESaturday 19 October 2019

Alberto Salazar's Nike project 'should be closed'

Whistleblower accuses tainted coach recently banned for four years by US Anti-Doping Agency

Alberto Salazar hugs Mo Farah (R) and US athlete Galen Rupp at the World Athletics in 2011
Alberto Salazar hugs Mo Farah (R) and US athlete Galen Rupp at the World Athletics in 2011

An athlete-turned-whistleblower guided by banned coach Alberto Salazar has called for his Nike Oregon Project to be shut down.

Salazar was barred for four years, in the middle of the World Athletics Championships last week, following a four-year investigation by the US Anti-Doping Agency. Athletes from his group won three gold medals at the championships.

US runner Kara Goucher, who was coached by Salazar for seven years until 2011 and gave evidence against him, told the BBC she wants the project to be closed. "It has to go," she said. "If I was Nike I'd be bringing in some new coaches and move on from this Oregon Project, because clearly it had principles not in line with clean sport and we have to just start over.

"These athletes should do the right thing - staying in that uniform sends such a terrible message. They really need to shut it down and give athletes a chance to train under someone new and fresh."

Salazar, who guided Britain's four-time Olympic champion Mo Farah from 2011 until 2017, says he has done nothing wrong and will appeal.

Updated: October 7, 2019 03:36 PM

SHARE

SHARE