x Abu Dhabi, UAEMonday 24 July 2017

No West Ham move for Beckham

David Beckham has said he has "no interest" in leaving the Los Angeles Galaxy and has had no contact with West Ham, according to a spokesman.

HOUSTON, UNITED STATES // David Beckham has said he has "no interest" in leaving the Los Angeles Galaxy and has had no contact with West Ham, a spokesman for the England international revealed yesterday. David Sullivan, the West Ham co-owner, has said previously that he wants to sign the 35-year-old former Manchester United and Real Madrid player, who was born in Leytonstone, a few miles away from West Ham's Upton Park ground in East London, and that discussions have taken place with the player's agent.

But a spokesman for Beckham told the Press Association: "Whilst it's flattering to hear of interest there has been no contact with or offer from West Ham. "David is happy at the Los Angeles Galaxy and has no interest in leaving, and is looking forward to returning to the team on August 9." Meanwhile, Bruce Arena, the LA Galaxy coach, says he hopes Beckham will be back in training by the end of next month.

Beckham tore his Achilles tendon in March and missed the World Cup in South Africa after undergoing surgery. "I believe there's a chance he can begin training by the end of August," Arena told reporters following the MLS All-Star game against Manchester United on Wednesday night. The MLS regular season finishes at the end of October, but the Galaxy, who lead the Western Conference, are expected to be involved in the November play-offs that decide the title.

Arena said it was too early to say whether Beckham could be involved in the play-offs. "At this point in time there's no way to predict whether he'll be able to play this year or not," he said. "These are difficult injuries ... for any athlete in any sport, at this point in time we can't predict whether he is going to be able to play or not." * Reuters