x Abu Dhabi, UAEMonday 24 July 2017

No Beckham in Dubai as he rules out PSG move

The Los Angeles Galaxy player was rumoured to sign a contract with the French Ligue 1 player, but Englishman decides against it, and will miss the Dubai Football Challenge against AC Milan.

DUBAI // Spectators hoping to glimpse David Beckham during Wednesday night's Dubai Football Challenge are in for a disappointment. Leonardo, the sporting director of Paris Saint-Germain, confirmed on Tuesday that the former England captain will not be joining the French league leaders.

PSG meet AC Milan at Al Ahli's Rashid Stadium and while the likes of Alexandre Pato, Javier Pastore and Zlatan Ibrahimovic will be on show, there will be no surprise appearance from Beckham.

The 36 year old, who featured in the Dubai Football Challenge with Milan in 2009, has been linked with a move to the Qatari-owned PSG for several months, and an announcement had been expected earlier this week in Doha.

However, Leonardo on Tuesday ruled out any transfer of Beckham, whose contract with MLS side Los Angeles Galaxy expired on December 31.

"He will not come to PSG," Leonardo said, citing "family reasons" for the midfielder's decision not to relocate to the French capital.

The Paris club announced the appointment of Carlo Ancelotti as coach last week.

The Italian was in charge of Milan when Beckham joined on loan in 2009, but Nasser Al Khelaifi, PSG's Qatari president, said in an interview with French radio station RMC: "No, he will not come, that is clear. David Beckham is in Los Angeles and he's going to stay there."

PSG trained on Tuesday afternoon in Doha under the watchful eye of Qatar's Crown Prince Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad Al Thani.

They arrived in Dubai on Tuesday night ahead of this evening's exhibition match with Milan, which kicks off at 7.30pm.

gmeenaghan@thenational.ae


””Follow The National Sport on @SprtNationalUAE & Gary Meenaghan on @GMeenaghan