x Abu Dhabi, UAESunday 23 July 2017

Monaco Grand Prix notebook

Petrov’s day ends in pain, Webber frustrated by pit blunder, and di Resta apologises for mistake.

Petrov's relief

Vitaly Petrov has spoken of the pain he was in after his crash late in yesterday's Monaco Grand Prix. The Russian was involved in a multi-car crash that saw him hit the back of Jaime Alguersuari's Toro Rosso and go into the barriers hard. The race was red-flagged while the Russian was removed from his Lotus Renault. He said: "It was quite a big impact and I could not feel my legs very well after the crash. I thought it was best for the medical team to assist with removing me from the car as it was difficult for me to move and my legs were trapped in the cockpit. I did not lose consciousness but I was in quite a lot of pain when I was inside the car."

Mixed day for Williams

Williams finally got on the scoresheet in 2011, but it could have been even better. Rubens Barrichello finished ninth to get his team two points, but Pastor Maldonado had been on for eight points with sixth place until he was hit from behind by Lewis Hamilton as the McLaren-Mercedes attempted a pass at Turn One and was pushed into the barriers. Barrichello said: "I ended up ninth, but not in the way I would have liked to as it was at the expense of my teammate. We lost some really good points for the team so that is disappointing."

Pit misery for Webber

A disastrous pit-stop was blamed by Mark Webber for ruining his chances of challenging for a podium in Monaco. The Red Bull Racing driver, who won the race 12 months earlier, had been running fourth early on but had a 20-second pit stop, which dropped him down the order. The Australian recovered to finish fourth, but he was still frustrated by his botched stop. He said: "When I arrived in the pits we didn't have any tyres out, I arrived and sat there, but the boys were still getting them ready. There was a radio communication problem within the team and so they weren't properly prepared. When you wait here, you lose track position and you have to wait behind people, so it was not bad to get fourth from there."

Sauber's welcome boost

Saturday was a bad day for Sauber as they saw Sergio Perez ruled out of the race after a heavy crash coming out of the tunnel. But Kamui Kobayashi, driving the lone Sauber in the race, gave the team a boost with their best result of the season as he finished fifth in yesterday's race. James Key, Sauber's technical director said: "Kamui drove a good race. It's great to bring points home in what has been a very mixed weekend, both in terms of performance and emotion with Checo's [Perez's] crash. We can dedicate these points to him as a team and hope that we can get back to normal in Montreal."

Bomb scare

A bomb disposal expert took several minutes to remove a suspicious package prior to the start of yesterday's race before signalling the all-clear. The expert, dressed in black protective clothing, a helmet and a visor, cut away fencing in the paddock area to remove a bag wedged next to a pillar close to several busy bars and restaurants. After a few minutes, the bag was removed and the disposal expert signalled that there was nothing dangerous inside.

Di Resta says sorry

While his British compatriot Lewis Hamilton was blaming other drivers for his incidents, Paul di Resta apologised over a collision with Alguersuari that broke his Force India's front wing and earned him a drive-through penalty from stewards. Di Resta, who finished 12th, said: "I have to hold my hands up for this accident because I was probably a bit too ambitious."