The FA's Disciplinary Committee will take no action after reviewing the ugly scenes that marred the two sides' Pro League match on Thursday.
Maradona, Al Wasl and Al Shabab all escape punishment
DUBAI // The Football Association Disciplinary Committee decided Monday night that no action will be taken against either Al Shabab or Diego Maradona, the Al Wasl coach, over the rumpus in the stands following the Pro League match between the two sides on this past Thursday.
Maradona's wife, Veronica Ajeda, and their guests, who had been watching the match, had to be escorted away by police after banter between them and some Shabab supporters turned nasty.
The Argentine himself had to be restrained by security men after he rushed into the stands along with a few of his players and support staff to confront the fans.
In the ensuing melee, the wife of Juan Ignacio Mercier, Wasl's Argentine midfielder, slipped down the stairs as they were being escorted away.
The incident made headlines around the globe and the disciplinary committee discussed the matter at their weekly meeting last night, but after going through the reports from the match officials, they decided the episode did not merit any penalties against Maradona or Shabab.
Wasl, who had described the behaviour of the Shabab supporters as "harassment" and a slur on the culture of UAE, were not happy with the decision of the disciplinary committee to not hold Shabab responsible for the incident.
"We have not heard about the decision as yet, but if it is true, then we are disappointed," a Wasl spokesman said.
"We expected some action against Al Shabab, but having said that, we fully accept the decision of the disciplinary committee and they are the best people to decide."
Follow us @SprtNationalUAE