A formal statement from both parties means the Argentine can concentrate on playing football. Video interview
Manchester City try to bury hatchet after Carlos Tevez says sorry
Carlos Tevez could be a step nearer to pulling on a Manchester City shirt again after apologising "sincerely and unreservedly" for his recent conduct.
In a statement issued by the Premier League leaders last night, the Argentinian also withdrew his appeal against a fine of six weeks' wages relating to the unauthorised three-month absence he ended last week.
Manager Roberto Mancini, who had long maintained the player must apologise to be considered for selection again, has not yet responded but Tevez has now made clear he wants to end a lengthy saga.
The 28-year-old said: "I wish to apologise sincerely and unreservedly to everybody I have let down and to whom my actions over the last few months have caused offence.
"My wish is to concentrate on playing football for Manchester City Football Club."
Tevez has not played for City since he was accused of refusing to warm up during the Champions League defeat at Bayern Munich on September 27.
Mancini said Tevez was "finished" at the club as a result and the dispute escalated when the player then flew to Argentina without permission on November 7.
While away Tevez hoped to secure a move but City refused to lower their asking price, believed to be around £25million, or consider a loan deal before the closure of the January transfer window.
With no transfer possible on those terms, Tevez reported back to the club last Tuesday but did not meet with Mancini, who flew to Portugal the following day for the Europa League game against Porto.
City were not then in action last weekend and Mancini gave the players time off, putting back a possible reunion until early this week.
Mancini, who last week expressed disappointment at claims by Tevez that he treated his former captain "like a dog" in Munich, refused to comment yesterday morning on whether such a meeting had taken place.
But it appeared peace might finally have broken out by the evening as City issued a statement.
It read: "Carlos Tevez has today apologised to all concerned for his recent conduct.
"Carlos returned to the football club last Tuesday, following a three-month absence from duties, without permission.
"Carlos has also withdrawn his appeal against the club's finding of gross misconduct which was due to be heard by a Premier League panel in the coming days.
"He has since begun a training programme designed to return him to optimum fitness."
Tevez was fined six weeks' wages - thought to be around £1.2million - for gross misconduct during his absence.
He failed in one appeal to the club's board against that sanction but had lodged another with the Premier League.
A return to the fray for Tevez would give Mancini the option of City's leading scorer for the past two seasons as the club chase a first title since 1968 in the vital coming months.