x Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 28 July 2017

Man City confirm meeting with striker Carlos Tevez

Carlos Tevez was meeting with Manchester City officials today as the inquiry into his actions during last week's Champions League match at Bayern Munich takes a significant step forward.

Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez.
Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez.

LONDON // Carlos Tevez was meeting with Manchester City officials today as the inquiry into his actions during last week's Champions League match at Bayern Munich, takes a significant step forward, the Premier club has confirmed.

Roberto Mancini, the City manager, said after last Tuesday's game, which ended in a 2-0 win for Bayern, that Tevez had refused to go on as a substitute and that as far as he was concerned the Argentine's career at Manchester City "was finished".

The striker denied the allegations but was suspended by the club for two weeks while an internal investigation is being carried out.

Reuters sources close to Tevez confirmed the meeting was taking place on Monday at a private location. The club then later confirmed this.

Tevez did not play in Saturday's 4-0 win at Blackburn Rovers, but sought to placate City fans last week — already angered by his open desire to leave the club which he has expressed over the past year.

"There was some confusion on the bench and I believe my position may have been misunderstood," he said in a statement last week.

"I would like to apologise to all Manchester City fans, with whom I have always had a strong relationship, for any misunderstanding that occurred in Munich."

After meeting with City officials, Tevez will not be allowed to return to the club until his suspension ends on October 12.