x Abu Dhabi, UAEFriday 21 July 2017

Inter confirm €25m bid for Manchester City striker Carlos Tevez

The Italian Serie A side have renewed their bid to sign the Argentine striker, but their initial inquiry is likely to fall short of City's valuation.

Carlos Tevez has a contract with Manchester City until 2014.
Carlos Tevez has a contract with Manchester City until 2014.

Inter Milan have renewed their bid to sign Carlos Tevez but their initial inquiry is likely to fail.

After AC Milan pulled out of the running to sign Manchester City's controversial 27-year-old striker last week, Inter president Massimo Moratti has been in touch with City to confirm they would be willing to pay €25 million (Dh116.3m) for Tevez.

Although such a deal would have the significant advantage of being a straight transfer, rather than a loan, which City have consistently refused to entertain, Press Association Sport understands it falls short of the club's valuation.

However, with the January transfer window not due to close for another two weeks, it is anticipated Inter will return with a further offer.

Having stated in the summer they felt Tevez was worth £40 million (Dh225m), City, whilst accepting they are unlikely to get anything like that figure, do not want to lose out badly on the transfer fee.

It has been suggested in the past they would be willing to keep Tevez to his contract, which expires in 2014, although as the South American has been at home in Argentina for the past two months and has not played since his fateful non-appearance against Bayern Munich in September, that would appear to serve little purpose for club or player.

And, after watching his side overcome neighbours AC Milan at the San Siro on Sunday to record a sixth successive Serie A win that leaves them just five points adrift of leaders Juventus, it seems Moratti thinks there are other potential suitors, including wealthy French outfit Paris Saint-Germain.

"Do we need Tevez? At this moment, it seems not, but football gives different answers every day," Moratti told Controcampo. "The offer is there, but now we are free to decide whether to go ahead or not.

"I believe there are still other teams involved for the striker. There are clubs in England as well as PSG.

"In football there are no secrets. Our offer is €25m. Now it depends on them whether they accept or not."

It was another Argentine forward who scored the decisive goal as Diego Milito's strike won the Milan derby.

Afterwards, Inter coach Claudio Ranieri was coy on his side's chances of striking a deal for Tevez.

He told Sky Sport Italia: "You never know. Do we really need him? You journalists certainly do ..."

Talking to Rai Sport, Ranieri said: "If he joins he'll be very welcome."

 

And in his press conference, according to Inter's official website, Ranieri said: "Tevez? If the president wants to give the city of Milan a present ... I'm used to working with what I've got."

* Press Association