Ricky Hatton is positive he can topple the world's best pound-for-pound fighter Manny Pacquiao when the pair meet in Las Vegas later this year.
Hatton upbeat ahead of May date with Pacquiao
Ricky Hatton is positive he can topple the world's best pound-for-pound fighter Manny Pacquiao when the pair meet in Las Vegas later this year. After weeks of wrangling over the distribution of the purse the on-off fight was officially confirmed at a press conference today. Hatton, currently the world's top light-welterweight, will face the pound-for-pound best boxer in the world Pacquiao on May 2, a year and a half after losing to Floyd Mayweather Jr at the same MGM Grand venue. "I am brimming full of confidence that I am going to win," said Hatton. "I have always said at 10 stone I don't think anyone will beat me and I firmly believe that. "I have challenged the best pound-for-pound fighter once in Floyd Mayweather - obviously I came second - but I am going to get another chance the fight the best pound-for-pound fighter."
Hatton's lawyer Gareth Williams said that they had never deviated from the 50-50 split on the prize money agreed in the original deal. "The reality was the actual negotiations were relatively straightforward," he said. "But at this time last week the fight was not going to take place. "We never wavered from what was agreed. We didn't want to take anything away from Manny but we also recognised what Ricky brings to the table and as far as we are concerned Ricky is an equal contributor to this fight." Hatton spoke of his relief that the fight was going ahead. "It has been a very difficult few weeks. We had agreed the deal so two weeks ago I was delighted," he said. "I was devastated when I thought it was not going to be on and I told Gareth I didn't want to go back into training not knowing. "I said 'As much of an honour it is to be fighting Manny Pacquiao I don't want to be sat around thinking who am I going to fight?' "I said if it was not done in the next few days I would look for someone else." *PA Sport