Football Federation Australia said on Saturday that Fifa had banned Bresciano for four months and fined him over his transfer from the Arabian Gulf League club to the Qatari club.
Former Al Nasr midfielder Mark Bresciano hit with Fifa ban over transfer
SYDNEY (AP) – Football Federation Australia says world governing body Fifa has banned Australian player Mark Bresciano for four months and fined him over an illegal transfer involving clubs in the United Arab Emirates and Qatar.
FFA said Saturday that Bresciano will still play for Australia against Costa Rica on Tuesday, saying “the advice from Fifa is that the suspension doesn’t apply” to that friendly.
“FFA is currently studying the judgement and considering the options,” a FFA spokesman said.
“We will do all we can to assist Bresciano and his representatives in having this issue resolved.”
Bresciano joined Qatari club Al Gharafa last year, from Al Nasr in the UAE. But Al Nasr challenged the transfer and Fifa ruled the move broke the sport’s laws.
The details of how it broke the rules, or when Bresciano’s ban was due to begin, were not immediately clear.
Al Gharafa has said it would appeal Fifa’s verdict.
“This is not a unique case, there are many precedents, we as a club are not a part of this case,” the club’s general secretary Jassim Al Manosuri said in a statement on the club’s website.
“As the player ended his contract with his former club before joining us, our next step will be filing an appeal to the Court of Arbitration for Sport.”
A suspension would jeopardise the 33 year old’s bid to play in a third consecutive World Cup. Australia has qualified for next year’s tournament in Brazil. The midfielder has played 72 internationals.