Wolves striker Rafa Mir accuses Valencia of 'lies' and blocking dream move to Real Madrid
Spaniard signed a four-and-a-half-year deal with the Championship leaders last week but claimed a move to the European champions was blocked.
Spanish striker Rafael Mir has accused Valencia of "lies" and claimed his former club prevented his dream move to Real Madrid prior to his English second-tier club Wolverhampton Wanderers.
Mir, 20, completed a €2 million (Dh8.76m) transfer last week to Wolves, who lead the Championship by 11 points and are well on course for promotion to the Premier League.
Initial reports had claimed Mir had rejected the chance to join Spanish, European and world champions Madrid, but in an interview with Radio Valencia Cadena SER, the striker explains why he ended up at the Molineux Stadium and not the Bernabeu.
- Pep Guardiola: Man City must win trophies to be mentioned alongside Liverpool and Man United
- Philippe Coutinho: Barcelona fans revel in arrival of club record signing
- Comment: Anomalies now part of a wider trend with Arsene Wenger's Arsenal
"Valencia rejected three or four offers for me from Real Madrid and yet, they agreed to Wolverhampton's first in December," said Mir, who signed a four-and-a-half-year contract with Wolves.
"They (Valencia) didn't want me to go to Madrid and they've achieved it."
After years of struggling, Valencia are now back in contention in the Primera Liga, sitting third in the table nine points behind leaders Barcelona.
However, despite their revival, Mir said he had no interest in remaining at the Mestalla after losing trust in the club.
"I've left Valencia because I wanted an ambitious project," he said. "Somewhere to grow and to be trusted, and there I didn't see it.
"Valencia only made me a renewal offer this summer, that they said they had been trying to renew me for a year is a lie."
Updated: January 9, 2018 03:30 PM